Coconut water is the clear liquid inside young coconuts (fruits of the coconut palm), not to be confused with coconut milk. As the fruit matures, the coconut water gradually is replaced by the coconut meat and air. A very young coconut has very little meat, and the meat is very tender, almost a gel. Coconut water has long been a popular drink in the tropics, especially in Southeast Asia, the Pacific Islands like Hawaii and the Caribbean, where it is available fresh, canned or bottled.
Composition of coconut water
- Water – 95.5%
- Nitrogen – 0.05%
- Phosphoric Acid – 0.56%
- Potassium – 0.25 %
- Calcium Oxide – 0.69%
- Magnesium Oxide – 0.59%
Facts about coconut water
- Coconut water is Low in Carbs, 99% Fat Free and Low in sugars .
- Coconut Water is more nutritious than whole milk – Less fat and NO cholesterol.
- Coconut Water is More Healthy than Orange Juice – Much lower calories.
- Coconut Water is Better than processed baby milk – It contains lauric acid, which is present in human mother’s milk.
- Coconut water is naturally sterile – Water permeates though the filtering husk.
- Coconut water is a universal donor – Its identical to human blood plasma.
- Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage – The same level we have in our blood.
- Coconut water is also used as an intravenous fluid in some developing countries where medical saline is unavailable.
Coconut water benefits
- Coconut Water Relieves Urinary Problems
If you consume coconut water on a regular basis it can reduce urinary problems. People who suffer from strangury, polyutra and other urinary ailments drink coconut water to relieve their symptoms.
- Coconut Water Breaks up Kidney Stones
People who have kidney problems and are plagued by kidney stones should drink coconut water in addition to taking their medication. Drinking coconut water regularly helps to break up kidney stones making them easier to push out.
- Coconut Water Kills Intestinal Worms
Drinking coconut water with one teaspoon of olive oil for three days will kill intestinal worms and clear the stomach of worms, which makes for better digestion.
- Coconut Water is Used in Blood Transfusion
Coconut water is almost identical to blood plasma and this makes it easy to use for blood transfusion. In cases of emergency coconut water has been used as an intravenous hydration fluid instead of the standard IV fluid. During World War II many wounded soldiers were saved in the Pacific because of emergency transfusion using coconut water as plasma.
- Coconut Water is an Antibacterial
Coconut water contains monolaurin, an antiviral, antibacterial and antiprozoal monoglyceride that is used to kill lipid-coated viruses such as HIV, Herpes, cytomegalovirus, flu and various pathogenic bacteria.
- Coconut Water Controls Vomiting
Coconut water is great at reducing vomiting. People who have typhoid, malaria, fevers or other ailments that are known to induce vomiting drink coconut water to settle the stomach. As such, coconut water is also a good thing to drink during a hangover.
Green or unripe coconuts can be found in Asian and West Indian markets. All coconuts that they sell are closed up to keep coconut water from losing its nutrients. So, if you plan on buying a coconut, you can ask someone to chop the coconut open or you can open it yourself at home and drink it.
DISCLAIMER: Comments expressed in this website are those of the readers and do not necessarily reflect the position of HomeTreatment.net or any of its sister sites. HomeTreatment.net does not knowingly publish false information and may not be held liable for the views of readers exercising their right to free expression.
All articles in this site was meant for educational purposes only. We don’t claim full ownership of the videos, pictures and some articles posted on this site. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.